2/5/18

Being Schooled

Yesterday, I took Sally Terry's Hooked on Feathers class. 


I took the class because my feathers are all so regimented and same size (and boring to make) and I wanted to think of feathers in a bigger, looser, more flowing way.  Sally's technique doesn't backtrack and it gives kind of a double feather that's nice.  I plan to play more with that concept, but I don't have trouble backtracking.  That's definitely a skill I've worked on over the years to get my regimented feathers to work out and I'm pretty good at it, if I can see the line I'm going back over, so I don't see me going to the hooked method on everything.  But, I see a purpose for it.  

I didn't want to take the Bernina...35 pounds I didn't need to drag around.  So, I took my Singer 301.  Great machine.  It's sitting on a quilt it quilted in this picture, so I knew it would do it, but pulled it out on Saturday and did some sewing to make sure.  It did fine in class.  It makes a click when the needle screw hits the lift on the hopping foot, but that's about the only sound it makes. 


The first thing I noticed was how much slower I quilt than the other people in class.  While my machine was going tick-tick-tick, theirs were going vroom!  They filled a lot more of their class samples than I did, but it wasn't a competition, it was a class and I was intent on re-learning something, not learning something new. 


We started on the left side.  The first row is hooked feathers in the same size.  That's not very interesting.  But, when I started to vary the size in the next two rows, I really started appreciating the double feather effect.  Then, we used some templates.  I chose the feather heart because it was SO different from what I'd normally do, and it was definitely a challenge for me.  Above that, we turned a corner.  And, on the right side, we drew a ribbon (I didn't follow my drawn lines very well, I kept improvising) and then filled the ribbon and feathered along it. 

I enjoyed myself.  It was nice being around other quilters for the day.  I need to join a bee so I can do that more often.  And, I need to remember to make more samples and quilt them.  I have all these small pieces of batting and fabrics I'm not interested in using.  I'm not sure why I'm not turning them into practice samples.  So, that's a goal.  Instead of just doing the same thing that I know how to do, over and over, I'm going to spend more time practicing and trying new things.  Along with all the other goals I've set for myself. 

Right.

Everybody have a great day.  I'm going on a business trip tomorrow.  Tonight is guild.  It's a very busy week!  Sydney is sick.  Rob and I are keeping away from her.  She and I had to have a little talk last night about washing her hands before she goes into the kitchen.  I actually think she was having trouble understanding why I would ask her to do that.  But, she doesn't want to be taken care of anymore...wants to take care of herself.  Rob can't afford to be sick and I sure would hate getting sick on a business trip.  So, she's just going to have to accept that there are other people that live here. 

I wonder what age people realize they aren't the only people on earth...when do we grow out of that natural narcissism we are born with.

It's Monday.  Make something great happen.  Double the pleasure, if you can do that while using a sewing machine.  Triple the pleasure if it's a vintage machine.

Lane

9 comments:

Mary said...

Judging by the drivers in my former city, there are people who never realize they aren't the only people in the world. LOL. The handwashing seems a hard thing for people these days. They obviously didn't have a mother who would refuse to feed them if they didn't go wash first.

Rose in VT said...

If I'd been in your class you wouldn't have been the slowest one. I didn't realize I quilt slowly until people started commenting on it when I was quilting at places outside my house. I am fascinated with your machine. I bought a 'quilt foot' for my Featheweight, but haven't dared to use it yet. I don't have a feed dog cover, but sometimes I forget to drop the feed dogs on my old Bernina and don't notice. Do you use one on that machine?

Lane said...

Rose is a no reply commenter. Yes, Rose, I do have a hopping foot for this slant shank machine. The advantage to this machine (Singer 301) over a featherweight is the full sized throat that lets me fit a whole quilt in the machine. The fewatherweight would not. Lane

Dot said...

You are so productive, I have trouble thinking of you as a slow quilter, particularly since you take the trouble to remove and redo quilting that doesn't suit you.... And you are thoughtful about sharing your many completed quilts.

It was a treat to see pearls filling your feather enhanced ribbon. You're right, it wasn't a competition and your quilting (well, each of your completed quilts) is always top notch.

Anonymous said...

Be safe on your trip. Cannot imagine what you have learned about quilting since we once did the 9-patch. Hope Syd is feeling better and you nor Rob get it. lum

Anonymous said...

Oh, you made me think.....it doesn't always have to be a big quilt . Thanks for that! Safe travels. Mary

Rebecca Grace said...

Your hooked feathers looked great! I think some people have more trouble with machine quilting BECAUSE they go so fast. If you think about it like hand quilting with the sewing machine needle, or drawing speed, you have so much more control. There is NO WAY to backtrack feathers at 90 mph! :-) Hope Sydney gets better soon and that you and Rob stay healthy. My sons infected me with flu a couple weeks ago and it was awful...

Linda Smith said...

Love the 301. I had the machine my mother used to make my baby clothes. I gave that machine to my daughter, then I had to go buy another one for me!! I goes like a champ. Not a fast champ, but fast enough for me. Love your feathers.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Wow, Lane!! Spectacular results on your class sample.